- Drive Safe-Tips/Guides
Wiper blades are one of the most under-appreciated pieces of safety equipment on your vehicle. No matter which vehicle you drive, you need a set of wiper blades. They help you see in poor weather conditions and in some cases act as a safety feature in your car, like anti-lock brakes. However, it's sadly mistaken for many people that rain is the only type of weather that affects wipers.
How do I know which wiper blades to buy?
Windshield wiper blades are vehicle-specific. The optimal wiper blade size is determined by the manufacturer and selected for the most effective windshield cleaning job possible. Therefore, to find the right wiper blade to fit your car, check your manual!
To ensure the proper functionality of your wiper system, size is important. Note that there may be different size requirements for the driver and passenger sides, depending on the make of vehicle. Your car’s manual will indicate the sizes of wiper blades and may also recommend a brand like Bosch.
While you may be tempted to buy a cheaper brand, often, the more expensive wiper blades are worth the investment as they come with extra features and/or are made with longer-lasting silicone instead of rubber. In hot weather, and especially when your car is exposed to the sun, rubber blades will quickly harden and eventually crack, while silicone blades will offer durability and longevity. Having said that, cleaning ability has more to do with keeping your blades clean rather than what they’re made of.
How do I make my wiper blades last longer?
When times are tough and your budget is low, it’s reasonable to ask why we should have to replace wiper blades every six months. The reality is that wiper blades are susceptible to the environment such as exhaust fumes, road grime, and the weather. Chemicals and harsh temperatures cause rubber to deteriorate.
It’s also important that we do our part in keeping as much waste out of the landfills as possible, so it makes a lot of sense to work on extending the life of your wiper blades.
Much like any component of your vehicle, maintenance is key for performance, safety, and longevity.
- Clean your wiper blades regularly. Even a simple wipe with a wet cloth to remove dirt and grime can also extend their life and effectiveness significantly.
- Clean your windshield regularly. Wiper blades will wear more quickly if they’re wiping across a dirty windshield.
- Always only operate your wiper blades on a wet windshield. If you need to clear your windshield of pollen or dust, for example, never switch on the wipers dry without pressing the washer fluid button.
- In hot weather, when your car is parked, lift the wipers up away from the windshield. This will help them become deformed from the heat.
- If the rubber blades have hardened, to get them flexible again, try wiping with a vinegar and water mixture on a clean cloth underneath the wiper blade, making sure that the vinegar has soaked in properly. This vinegar solution is also good just to get the wiper blades nice and clean, so it has a dual purpose!
- In freezing cold weather, if you park your car outdoors and your windshield tends to get frosted over, lift the wipers up away from the windshield to prevent the rubber freezing to the glass and risking damage to them.
When should I replace my wiper blades?
Wiper blades are one of those "how do you know when it's time to replace them?" items that many people haven't given much thought to. Some signs are obvious, such as cracks or tears in the rubber, when you hear a squeak, squeal, or grinding sound, or streaking and smearing, then you know it's time to get new wiper blades.
However, if your blades aren't streaking, but leave streaks behind as they're dragged across the windshield, perhaps all you need to do is clean the windshield.
The rule of thumb is to replace your blades at the beginning of autumn and spring, but you might need to replace them more often depending on where you live and how often you drive in bad weather.
Wiper blades are one of those components that are easy to maintain to help them last longer but sooner or later will need replacing. Bosch offers a full line of windshield wiper blades engineered for extreme all-weather performance to ensure visibility no matter the weather condition. Bosch wiper blades are manufactured for superior performance and the latest in design and technology.
Supa Quick is dedicated to safety on the road. Visit your nearest Supa Quick service centre for a free vehicle safety check, which includes a wiper blade and windscreen check. Plus, if you’re an eBucks member, you can earn 200 eBucks just for coming in and getting all those vehicle safety basics covered.
Disclaimer: This information is for educational, or entertainment purposes only. It must not be construed as advice, legal, financial, or otherwise. We do not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information.