Tyre dealers and auto fitment centres

Find out about our latest deals:

Newsletter Subscription

Find your next tyre:

search by tyre size

MATCH REPORT: Monument vs Noordheuwel

  • Sponsorships

Monument outplay Noordheuwel in Krugersdorp derby

Five first-half tries from Monument saw Hoerskool Monument outplay Hoerskool Noordheuwel to beat them 47-25 (halftime: Hoerskool Monument 32-13 Hoerskool Noordheuwel), in the Krugersdorp derby as the Premier Interschools continued on Saturday 4 September.

In the end, Monument scored eight tries while Noordheuwel's tries coming via a Mathew Gename brace and an injury-time Michael Fouche try.

Both sides came out firing out of the blocks, the opening 10 minutes of the match saw Monument take the early lead via the boot of Conrad Sevenster when the inside centre converted his penalty attempt, 3-0. This set the tone as Noordheuwel nearly struck back, almost immediately, but it was the home side who got the opening try of this Krugersdorp encounter.

Had the conversion attempts from Monument gone over, the scoreline might have been much larger than it was in the end.

Tries for the Wit Bulle came via braces from Dian Senekal and Arie van der Walt, with captain Evan Retief, speedster Linda Ndaba, nippy scrumhalf Deon-Divan Groenewald, outside centre Zain Henery all getting over the try line for the home side.

Monument dominated the set pieces and enjoyed quality possession from first phase ball, this helped set the platform for a very talented backline to show their exceptional handling and elusive running skills.

Loose forward for Monument, Dian Senekal, dived over for the first of his two tries, following a brilliant passage of play from the hosts, not much was in it at first but the strength and skill that Senekal showed metres from the Noordheuwel try line saw his side go up 8-0, conversion missed.

Noordheuwel did not lose any steam, in fact, the try fired them up as the visiting side ran from deep within their own half, playing against a very strong West Rand wind, they were rewarded for their clinical approach especially at the breakdown.

Players like Counlee Koekman and Basson allowed Noordheuwel to take play deep into Monument territory, their first try came as a result of some excellent visionary skills from Koekman. With a quick tap inside their own half, the scrumhalf offloaded to Gename, who ran 50-plus metres ghosting six Monument defenders for their first five-pointer. JT Kapank added the conversion along with an earlier successful penalty attempt, to give Noordheuwel the lead, 8-10.

Monument captain Retief dived over from close range when he collected the ball at the back of a rolling maul. This was Monument's second try but it set in motion a passage of play and phases whereby the hosts would dominate not only in broken play and set pieces but also on the scoreboard. They ran in three unanswered tries including a try after the halftime siren went. The deficit on the scoreboard would have been greater had Conrad Sevenster succeeded with more of his attempts off the tee.

Teams headed into halftime with Monument firmly in the lead at 32-13, with Basson adding a late drop goal for Noordheuwel. Tries from Senekal, his second, Ndaba and Groenewald rounded off a well-worked and clinical opening half from the home side.

Monument picked up where they left it at the end of the first half, albeit the first points come only 10 minutes into the second half when van der Walt turned on the gas and ghosted the entire Noordheuwel backline as Monument ran the ball from their own try line after they won a turnover. Moments later, Henery was finally rewarded with his try after some great supportive play he exhibited throughout the match.

The home side had done enough to secure an emphatic win in their centenary celebration year and let their foot off the gas as the final 10 minutes of the match approached.

A late consolation try for the visitors came when Fouche outpaced the Monument defenders to dive over and dot down in the corner with the ball in one hand. A little too late but the Noordheuwel side never gave up despite trailing by such a large margin for most of the match. Credit has to be given to the Monument forwards and for the manner by which they set their backline players up, with players like captain Retief, loose forwards Senekal and Xander Schoeman making sure the Noordheuwel tries were kept to a minimum.


For Hoerskool Monument 47
Tries: Dian Senekal (2), Arie van der Walt (2), Evan Retief, Linda Ndaba, Deon-Divan Groenewald, Zain Henery
Cons: Conrad Sevenster (2)
Pen: Sevenster
Yellow Card: Sevenster (62nd minute)

For Hoerskool Noordheuwel 25
Tries: Mathew Gename (2), Michael Fouche
Cons: JT Kapank (2)
Pen: Kapank
Drop goal: Cole Basson

Supaquick Man of the Match: Evan Retief

Hoerskool Monument:

15 Marcey de Waal, 14 Linda Ndaba, 13 Zain Henery, 12 Conrad Sevenster, 11 Arie van der Walt, 10 Tylor Sefoor, 9 Deon-Divan Groenewald, 8 Evan Retief (captain), 7 Dian Senekal, 6 Xander Schoeman, 5 Dewan Olivier, 4 HJ de Beer, 3 Dylan du Plessis, 2 Jan Botes, 1 S'Fiso Magwaza
Replacements: 16 Stephan Uys, 17 Mocke Balt, 18 Ricardo du Plessis, 19 Ulrigh vd Westhuizen, 20 Tristan de Costa, 21 Dylan de Kler, 22 Theunis du Plooy, 23 Jason Greyvenstein, 24 Jade Powell, 25 Jody Schambreel

Hoerskool Noordheuwel:
15 Corne Muller, 14 Mathew Gename, 13 JT Kapank, 12 Cole Basson, 11 Ruan Sutherland, 10 Divan Spangenberg, 9 Counlee Koekman, 8 Marco Maree, 7 Ludie Schutte, 6 DP van Zyl, 5 JL van Rensburg, 4 Seth Pretorius, 3 Tjaart Steenkamp, 2 Ryno Giezing, 1 Dean Botha
Replacements: 16 Arne Roux, 17 Martin Nel, 18 Zane Commerford, 19 Keagan Grobbelaar, 20 Juan Fourie, 21 Calvin Paulsen, 22 Chadwin Storm, 23 Michael Fouche


Reported by: Lyndon Julius

call center