Tyre dealers and auto fitment centres

Find out about our latest deals:

Newsletter Subscription

Find your next tyre:

search by tyre size

Match Report: Paul Roos vs Grey College

  • Sponsorships

A “Grey” and gloomy day for Grey College as the Maroon Machine of Paul Roos put together a complete performance to win 34 - 19 in aSupa Quick Premier Interschools clash at the Markotter field in Stellenbosch on Saturday 20th of August 2022.

Supa Quick man of the match and captain of Paul Roos “Herman Lourens” running with the ball to score a try. - Photographer = Ashley Vlotman/Gallo Images

The “Jolla Bolla” rang out at the Markotter in Stellenbosch on Saturday as the Maroon Machine put together a strong, balanced, and complete performance whilst capitalizing on Grey’s mistakes throughout the game.

The opening phases of the match started as you would expect hard hits and high intensity as both teams tried to assert early dominance. Paul Roos drew first blood in the 9th minute when they turned defense into attack after both teams played end to end running rugby on a damp Markotter pitch. Paul Roos broke blind after a break down field, a great display of slick handling found their inside centre Phillip Groenewald who scored the first try for Paul Roos. Christoff De Bruyn couldn’t convert from the touchline. Paul Roos 5 - 0 Grey College.

Possession continued to trade hands between the two sides. Grey College built a period of pressure within the Paul Roos half. A penalty came their way and touch was found by Grey flyhalf Van Der Merwe. A solid maul from the Grey pack meant Nick Greyling could get his name on the scoresheet. Ian Van Der Merwe converted, and Grey took the lead with 22 minutes played. Paul Roos 5 - 7 Grey College.

Grey College continued their pressure until a great defensive read by lock Wyatt Strydom. Two quick phases on attack and Paul Roos finished with a try in the corner by captain Herman Lourens. De Bruyn missed once more. Paul Roos 10 - Grey College 7 with 26 minutes played.

The momentum of the first half turned after that try as Paul Roos finished the half deep inside Grey’s half. De Bruyn found touch after Paul Roos won a penalty for offside. Paul Roos’ forward pack stormed over the line but couldn’t get the ball down, however Referee Rasta Rashavenga deemed the collapse illegal and awarded a peanlty try to the Maroon Machine. Paul Roos held a 10-point lead 17 - 7 at half time.

Poor discipline by Grey College ultimately lost them the game. 2 minutes into the second half a yellow card was given to Grey number 7 flanker Jean-Henri Smit for consistent penalties by the Grey College side.

Paul Roos kept pressure on Grey, and it paid off once more winning themselves a convertible penalty which De Bruyn slotted with relative ease. 41 minutes played and Paul Roos extended their lead 20 points to 7.

Grey College continued to fight to keep themselves in the game. After winning back possession Grey strung phases together. Their forward pack carried the ball strongly until Grey’s backline found space out wide resulting in a try for centre Alec McIntyre. Van Der Merwe converted, and Grey were right back in contention. Paul Roos 20 - Grey College 12, 44 minutes played.

Tat Botha from Grey College with the ball in hand. - Photographer = Ashley Vlotman/Gallo Images

All the momentum was with Grey College as they began to look dangerous. Paul Roos’ flyhalf Reuben Noble however picked off a phenomenal interception which he finished off under the poles for his side and it seemed that would be the moment that won the game. De Bruyn converted the kick and Paul Roos led 27 - 12.

With Grey College left to do it all they began running the ball from all parts of the field, looking to hold onto possession and open Paul Roos up. The tactic worked when quick ball gave fullback Gunter Van Rensburg the chance to run with time and space ahead of him. He finished off his run with a great try for Grey College. The fight back was on with 10 minutes to go. Van Der Merwe converted. Paul Roos 27 - Grey College 19.

Paul Roos absorbed relentless pressure for the final 10 minutes as Grey College threw everything at them. Paul Roos did well to keep Grey College in their half asking them to run the ball back from deep. Grey College tried to do that as flyhalf Van Der Merwe through a long ball over the top only to find the hands of Paul Roos right winger Luke Graham who made another great defensive read and gave his side their third interception of the match and another try which came from an interception, he scored next to the uprights and nailed the final nail in the Grey College coffin as Paul Roos completed a historic win at home on the Markotter against Grey College for second time since 2015. De Bruyn added the extra two points after time was up to end the match 34 - 19 in Paul Roos’ favour.

It was a day Paul Roos will remember for years to come as not only did the 1st XV win but so did the U14A, U15A, U16A & 2nd XV teams.

Supa Quick Man of the Match

Herman Lourens eighth man & Paul Roos Captain


For Paul Roos

Tries: Phillip Gronewald, Herman Lourens, Reuben Noble, Luke Graham

Penalty Try

Cons: Christoff De Bruyn (2/4)

Pens: Christoff De Bruyn (1/1)

For Grey College

Tries: Nick Greyling, Alec McIntyre, Gunter Van Rensburg

Con: Ian Van Der Merwe (2/3)


Yellow Card: Jean-Henri Smit


Paul Roos: 15 Christoff De Bruyn, 14 Luke Graham, 13 Luca Reuter, 12 Phillip Groenewald, 11 Justin Levine, 10 Reuben Noble, 9 Liam Stander, 8 Herman Lourens, 7 Hugo Radley, 6 Andreas Oosthuizen, 5 Wyatt Strydom, 4 Sampie Joubert, 3 Ryan Jack, 2 Seth Haddad, 1 Cameron Miell

Grey College: 15 Gunter Van Rensburg, 14 Janco Scheepers, 13 Ulric Wahl, 12 Alec McIntyre, 11 Martin Botha, 10 Ian Van Der Merwe, 9 Roux Heyns, 8 JJ Theron, 7 Jean-Henri Smit, 6 Morne Diederichs, 5 Marno Stopforth, 4 Ranon Fouche, 3 Jean Erasmus, 2 Nick Greyling, 1 Tat Botha

Match Officials

Referee: Rasta Rashavenge

Photo Credits

Pic 1 = Supa Quick man of the match and captain of Paul Roos “Herman Lourens” running with the ball to score a try.

Pic 2 = Tat Botha from Grey College with the ball in hand.

Photographer = Ashley Vlotman/Gallo Images

call center